Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Surreal Surroundings pt.1

(Disclaimer: this is a work of fiction)

I'm standing in a field. Thousands of black flakes of ash and white flakes of snow are descenting from the sky. It's like standing within infinite grey mist that envelopes your sole being, wishing that you could see farther than your arm's reach - soon you accept it's impossible.

What is this place? It's giving me the chills, but surprisingly the temperature of this place is neither cold nor warm. Like something was neutralizing the feel, I feel like a ghost floating above the hazy ground. I shake off that feeling and start walking around, hoping for an explanation to all of this. It's hard to breathe with all the excess in the air but I'm set to search the infinite.

(couple of hours pass by)

I finally take a break, I haven't found anything, I'm rendered nearly blind in this mess. It's as if I had been abandoned by all the living beings and been cast into a crazy dream. I hear whispers gliding past, they are in an unknown language, it's like a chant inviting me to search harder. I finally bend to their will and gather myself. The (what seems to be endless) walk continues.

(fleeting moments pass by)

I trip and fall. My head collides with the ground and I lose my consciousness.

(undefined amount of time passes by)

I regain my consciousness, I raise my bloodied head and hold the back of it with my right hand and notice that the mist has dissolved. I wittness something unfathomable. It's like hundreds of black statues of arms of differing heights emerging from the ground and trying to reach the zenith. The tallest of them all rises from the center. It has a white eye painted on the palm of its hand and it's enormous in size; it tickles the clouds. My neck hurts from having to tilt it so much to see the eye in the skies. This is something I wasn't meant to comprehend, I just keep staring at it in unbelief. Like a work of God if I believed in such entity. I look behind me and notice that what I tripped on was one of the smallest of those hands. I close my eyes now - the big white eye is staring through, it tries to communicate with my soul. I accept its offer and I'm sent to the otherworld, only leaving my clothes behind.

Flake covered earth and a pile of clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment