Saturday, March 7, 2009

Surreal Surroundings pt.6

(Disclaimer: this is a work of fiction)

I tread this alien jungle, like a clueless tribesman prevented from meeting any signs of life. I know that plants and trees are living things, but I bitterly accept that this place is barren, no matter what kind of things I might face or witness - it is devoid of life.

I must be living out someone's dream, or rather, a nightmare. A stranger in a strange world, so alone that cries for help could never be heard. I dread my fate, I can hear the doom and gloom in the back of my head, the whining noises that are trying to shatter the last shreds of my confidence.

(scouting left and right)

All I can see is the thickness of this paranormal forest, the deformed black trees look down on me and their laughter echoes in the air.

(pushing through some exotic shrubbery)

The purple spiky roots twisting around like tentacles, the red cylinder shaped poles sticking out of the ground and the yellow gargantuan leaves hanging above my head, they all add to my confusion. I'm surprised they didn't give me wings to fly with, considering how little sense this plane of existence makes. All I want is an exit - a grand return to normality.

(deeper and deeper)

I come to a clearing, a well deserved pause from that trek in the woods. There is some kind of a monument standing in the middle of this cleared area. I slowly look up and notice that the vegetation doesn't block the view above me - I'm staring into space. The vast void with its shining stars. I imagine how empty, yet full that space is. I try to imagine the complexity of its entirety, but it's far too much for me to even begin to comprehend. Only feeble sound would come out if I screamed while floating in that dark ocean, so feeble it would be nearly impossible to hear for a human being.

I'm devastated by this sight, I really am. It really feels like I'm out of touch from humanity, probably stranded on some unknown planet. How can it be? I pinch myself hoping to end this dream, to no avail.

I shed a lonely tear while the Universe is watching me.

No comments:

Post a Comment