Sunday, February 1, 2009

Surreal Surroundings pt.2

(Disclaimer: this is a work of fiction)

I open my eyes just to realize it's still as dark as before. I'm naked and kneeling. My kneecaps, hands and toes take no comfort from what feels like cold concrete floor. Just kneeling there - confused, lost and most of all too afraid to produce any sound.

Slowly coming back to my senses I see a hint of red forming a clean line, just few feet in front of me. I stare at it and I ponder what might be the origin of such. Suddenly the place starts to shake violently. I'm surrounded by thundering sounds, as if a gargantuan mechanical device was put in motion. Stone screeches against stone, it hurts my ears, I wish it would stop. The red line expands with every passing second. I'm not sure if the floor I'm on is descenting or if some obstructing wall in front of me is ascending - tremors and confusion. Feels like I'm a trapped in an earthquake.

(moments of despair)

The quakes stop and I shiver. I behold a great door made out of stone. The stones seem to be the source for all of the red glow. The door has strong pillar-like frames surrounding it, that are made like exquisite sculptures in detail. Even the door is filled with ancient carvings, that somehow pull you in, like they were telling a tale from the past. Some kind of miniature statue is overlooking the door - it looks like an angel, angel of death.

I must have spent a small eternity looking at that door, at all that red glow. Where will it lead? Do I want to find out? I guess I have no other choice. At one point, in the process of getting back up on my feet, I find myself in a genuflecting pose - like a prayer sent to hell - I'm standing vigilant now.

The door is heavy like all the weight of the world was backing it up from the other side. It has to be my imagination. I give it another push - it doesn't even budge. I sit on the cold floor and hold my head.

(moments of hopelessness)

The earthquake is back, grim orchestral of stone gnawing against stone. The door is slowly moving, slowly sliding open. Is this real?

I swallow my fear and walk through.

No comments:

Post a Comment