Sunday, February 8, 2009

Surreal Surroundings pt.3

(Disclaimer: this is a work of fiction)

I feel like I'm in a completely another world from the last. It looks like a dome, well-lit and so large I can't see the other end of it, just the slowly curving walls on my sides. Something black flows upwards the seemingly blue walls, it forms smoke-like clouds in the air. Their smell is pungent and my eyes get irritated from standing in them. I don't feel so well. All of that black matter seems to stream towards the center of the ceiling, which I can't see either. I feel like I'm imprisoned in a dream, but it feels too real - all too real.

I take a deep breath and as a result I throw up. My body is not accustomed to inhaling tar, at least that's what the smoke entering your body feels like. I cover my face with my right arm and breathe with caution, since the fumes seem to be hazardous. They only seem to be lingering near the black liquid on the walls, so I sprint forward and hold my breath. I want to get through this sickening haze, maybe the center of this place holds some answers. I'm driven by something - a will to survive.

(one minute sprint)

My heart is racing but I think I'm past the smoke now. I allow myself to breathe again, the air feels clean - a sign of comfort. I ran so far that I can't distinguish the walls anymore. I'm certain I'm heading towards the center, in any case I have to trust my instincts on that, for this place makes very little sense to begin with.

(wandering in the blue)

I stop as I see a ladder, it looks like it's hanging down from nothingness. I'm convinced that this is the center, it has to be the center. The azure blue ladder rungs are carved in the shape of arms, they hang on to the sides, which in return are carved to resemble snakes. The arms alternate their direction on each step, this metal ladder is a mystery in its own right. I guess I have to climb up the ladder squirming down from the nothingness. It seems like the right way, but I'm tired. As dangerous as it might be I decide to sleep on the ground near the ladder, I need all the energy I can get to be able to climb up there. I'm starving and I'm thirsty but I have to get through this trial. Where does it end? Will I ever reach home? Am I dreaming? I fall asleep with these questions swirling in my mind.

(some hours pass by)

I rise up and rub my eyes. The sleep has regenerated most of my strength, I guess I'm set then. A glimpse towards the ladder and a nod of my head. I wish I will find something to eat up there.

Despite some of my bodily needs I start the climb.

No comments:

Post a Comment